Chamberlain Garage Door Opener is one of the most reliable garage door opening units today. The revolutionary new design frees up ceiling space for extra storage.
Almost every new garage door opening unit comes with an integrated video camera with 2-way audio, “whisper” quiet operation, long-lasting LED lighting, additional battery backup, and easy installation. The MyQ technology lets you control the garage door operation with a smartphone app. Most new motor units also include a timer that will close your garage door automatically after 1, 5, or 10 minutes.
However, the Chamberlain garage door opener isn’t free from seldom problems. When your door suddenly stops operating correctly, or your remote control doesn’t work as required, you should know that your garage door opener unit has encountered a problem.
Most Common Problems with Chamberlain Garage Door Openers
Table of Contents
Here is the list of the most common Chamberlain garage door opener issues and instructions for garage door repair.
Garage Door Light Flashing but Won’t Close
There are some instances when your new Chamberlain garage door opener lights keep flashing, but the garage door won’t close or open. The problem could lie in the LOCK button or the safety reversing sensors. Someone must have turned on the LOCK feature on the motor unit.
When you try to access your door using a remote or clicker while the lock system is engaged, you’ll notice that the garage door light will continuously blink. The safety feature prevents the doors from accessing through the remote controller.
You can start by checking if the Lock button on the door control is ON or check if the safety reversing sensors are aligned.
- Check whether the lock button on your garage door control is turned on. When the Lock button is active, the door opener will only work from the Wall switch keypad but the garage door remotes.
- Start with locating the lock button on the door control.
- Gently press the lock button to turn this feature off. The light will flash two times.
- Now, press the remote control button to check whether the door responds.
Another possible cause is the misaligned or obstructed safety-reversing sensors. Check the manufacturer’s manual to override safety reversing sensors.
The Light Keeps Blinking Continuously
There are many reasons for the lights to keep blinking. If the light flashing persists, then the problem may be related to the wiring.
The same problem persists if the door opener cannot detect that the safety sensors are properly working or connected. The opener lights will flash, and the door will refuse to close.
- Check whether the wire is disconnected in the motor unit. If it’s disconnected from the openers, consider reconnecting it.
- Check for misplaced staples holding the wiring in place as they may also cause the wire to short.
- If it’s none of the above, the only solution to this problem is to hire a garage door repair professional. It might take time for the maintenance to determine whether it’s the wiring fault. If required, you’d need to replace the wiring entirely.
Misaligned Photo Eyes
The misaligned photo eyes can prevent the garage door from closing correctly. It will stop midway and then reverse.
If the safety sensors are not properly aligned, the light will blink ten times to warn you about misaligned photo eyes.
Check the two photo eyes attached to your garage door to see if it’s working correctly. The photo eye sensors may need adjustments or realignment to fix the sight path. Ensure nothing is blocking the light between the electronic photo eye sensors. Clean the photo eye sensors with a microfiber cloth to remove debris from blocking the light.
Always refer to the manual to self-diagnose LED light indicators. The LED light flashes a specific number of times which indicates the problem with the garage door openers.
|The broken or disconnected sensor wires leading to the safety sensor
|Reconnect or replace sensor wires
|Black/white wires reversed or safety sensor wire shorted
|Check for staples that can short wire or correct reverse wires
|Safety sensors are misaligned
|Realign sensors until the continuous glow
- You can manually adjust the sensor’s alignment by checking if both the red “Source” and green “Sensor” light bulbs are working fine (not blinking). Check if one or both of the lights are off and then check for faulty fuses, breakers, and plugs for problems. Consider replugging the power source.
- Loosen the wing nut holding up the photo-eye and adjust them until both sensors are correctly aligned. When aligned correctly, the receiver (green sensor) will remain on and glow steadily.
Minor Garage Door Problem Solutions
Each Chamberlain garage door manufactured after 2012 comes with prefixed indicator arrows to help for troubleshooting the unit. Check the back of the opener motor unit housing to locate indicator arrows. There should be two of them -one point up and the other pointing down.
Here is the list of possible problems and their solutions.
One blink up and 6 blinks down
Problem: It means door stops and slides.
Solution: You have to program the travel module to the correct position.
Two blinks up and 1-5 blinks down
Problem: It means there is no sound or movement at all.
Solution: You must replace the logic board.
Three blinks up and 2 down
Problem: Your limit settings aren’t saved.
Solution: Replace the logic board.
Three blinks up and down and the power LED is continually flashing
Problem: It means there’s a circuit error in your battery backup charging.
Solution: It needs to be replaced.
Four blinks up and One-Four down
Problem: The door stops or reverses. It means there are obstructions.
Solution: You must reprogram the travel module.
Four up and five down
Solution: You need to replace the travel module after checking the connections.
Four up and six down
Solution: You need to realign sensor boxes and clear obstructions.
You may find some of the Chamberlain models pricey. Still, it delivers when it comes to excellent build quality and anti-vibration features, so don’t hesitate to invest in Chamberlain smart garage door openers.